Saturday, November 17, 2012

November 17

Today's Reading

Ezekiel25 “Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. 26 And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.[c] 27 And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations." If your heart is hard, is it because you have never received a new heart like God promised and made available through Jesus Christ? Or have you received a new heart, but stopped God's process of changing your character? Either, way, my prayer for you is that you receive and live a life consistent with a new heart.

James is a letter that wasn't universally received in the early church. As early church leaders met to debate, pray and determine which writings should  be considered a part of God's Holy Word, James was controversial. Some liked his emphasis on outward works. Others felt that he was in direct conflict with Paul's teaching of salvation by grace through faith alone. They finally admitted James into the canon with the argument that Paul was describing justification before God, which is by faith. James described justification before men, which is by works. 

Chapter 1 begins with a discussion of God's desire as to what happens when we go through trials: He wants them to grow our endurance. Hills, heat, cold, wind, and sand are all trials to runners. Running through them can create significant endurance. 

Psalms. Difficulties will either drive you to God or away from Him. You choose!

Proverbs. Jesus warned against what He called "hirelings". True shepherds care for the sheep; hirelings just want a paycheck. It's another "attitude check" for me as a pastor.

What is speaking to you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment