Wednesday, August 8, 2012

August 8


Today's Reading

Ezra. Today we "meet" the man whose name is attached to this book. He is obviously the one who wrote down this part of their history and it was preserved. He was a "priest and a scribe." He was from the priestly tribe of Levi and a descendant of Aaron, the brother of Moses. His job as priest was representing God to the people and vice versa. As a scribe, he was a man who meticulously wrote down such things as this book that bears his name. He would also, most likely, have been at times tasked with making copies of the scrolls that chronicled the interactions of God and His people over the years.

I was struck by this sentence: "I found that not one Levite had volunteered to come along." Why? Why didn't the spiritual leaders want to go back to the place which God had established for the Temple? A few verses later, some of the Levites DID come and it seems that God specifically ordained some to make the journey. I don't want to be guilty of going along with the crowd when God's call comes!

1 Corinthians. Paul made two things clear in today's passage. First, he didn't want the people to praise him or look to him as provider of their spiritual riches. Second, he wanted them to imitate him in his passion to find and do God's will. As a leader, I appreciate the clarification he made here.

I have lived this Psalm. When things are going well, I feel invincible. When they are not going well, I wonder if I can even survive. Do you share my experience?

Proverbs. Leaders who use fear and intimidation may seem successful -- for a while. But great leadership helps people take action based on the highest motive of all: love.

What insights have you received today? Do you have questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment