Thursday, October 18, 2012

October 18


Today's Reading

Jeremiah. It seems as if the intimacy between God and Jeremiah kept growing. Then, this promise: "37 I will certainly bring my people back again from all the countries where I will scatter them in my fury. I will bring them back to this very city and let them live in peace and safety. 38 They will be my people, and I will be their God. 39 And I will give them one heart and one purpose: to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants. 40 And I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good for them. I will put a desire in their hearts to worship me, and they will never leave me." Obviously, God brought them back after 70 years. Then, God brought them back at the end of WWII and they re-established the nation of Israel in 1948. But, the ultimate fulfillment of this prophecy is yet to come. Then, you and I who know Christ -- people the New Testament calls true sons of Abraham because of Christ -- will be in that pilgrimage. My heart beats faster to think of it!

1 Timothy. For some reason, I just sat and enjoyed these verses as I read them. Especially the last part.

Psalms. No matter how high our heights, we have all experienced moments like the ones described here. We have the freedom to similarly cry out to God. He can take it!

Proverbs. I heard Rick Warren tell the story of the protesters when he took a stand against the gay marriage bill in California. They carried signs and shouted at people entering Saddleback church for services. He sent people out to them with water and donuts. He said he was sure they got hungry and thirsty out there!

Today's passages have been a delicious meal to me today. I hope they are the same for you. What do you notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment