Tuesday, October 20, 2009

October 20

Today's Reading

Jeremiah today reminds me of people I have known who are far more committed to some person, some cause or some country than many Christians are committed to Christ. It shames me sometimes. In the next chapter, we can see the the root of the evil among God's people went all the way to the king himself.

1 Timothy: imagine a culture where no government agency existed to "take care" of those who couldn't care for themselves. Paul gave specific instructions on how the church should care for widows. The first responsibility fell to the family of the widow. After that, the church could help. We can learn much about many areas of behavior from this passage. What do you notice?

Psalms: "20 I have found my servant David.
I have anointed him with my holy oil."
This is not so much remembering King David as looking forward to the Son of David -- Jesus Christ.

Proverbs: "26 If the godly give in to the wicked,
it’s like polluting a fountain or muddying a spring."
This, sadly, reminds me of the churches and denominations that have thrown away whole passages of Scripture so that they can embrace unrepentant people and their sins.

What part of today's reading speaks the most to you?

4 comments:

  1. The last verse in our Proverbs passage really hit me. It says, "It is not good to eat too much honey, nor is it honorable to seek one's own honor." At times throughout my day (especially towards the end when I'm pretty tired), I begin to expect that my family members will notice how hard I worked for them in putting a healthy, tasty meal in front of them, doing their laundry and basically helping things to move along smoothly so they can do what they need to do. Sometimes they do notice, but sometimes they don't. Who am I serving when I look to them for thanks? God is pleased when I serve them with the correct motives, not serve them to seek my own honor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Psalms screamed "promise" to me today. It hasn't done that before, but today it struck me -God promised David that his would be The Line, even if his children messed up. How cool is that!At least, that's how I saw it today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timothy's reading interests me today. I like how God shows our capability to fall to our flesh, and notes this in a realistic way. The wording associated to the young widow provides "overpowered by the flesh", it also goes on to discuss the capability of each widow to be cared for by family. This provides an insight to God knowing how we want to serve Him and knowling our capability to choose a wrong course of action based on our circumstances - being pulled away from God's path by our own flesh desires. I'm a simple person and it is comforting to know that God has a blue print providing the path for me to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have each shared something personal and valuable today. Thanks for enriching our experience!

    ReplyDelete