Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 4

Today's Reading

Jeremiah: the continuing sin of Israel and Judah reminds me of the story I heard about a way to destroy wolves in the arctic. If I understand it, a knife is sharpened to a razor edge, then coated with a thick coat of animal blood then frozen solid. Next it is placed outside at night, blade up. A wolf will smell the blood and come to eat his "popsicle". As the wolf licks off the froze blood, it doesn't realize that the edges of the sharp knife begin to cut the wolf's own tongue. Soon the animal bleeds to death, eating it's own blood. That's the way sin tempts, then destroys us. 22 “My wayward children,” says the Lord,
“come back to me, and I will heal your wayward hearts.”


Colossians: Colossae was located very near Laodicea, the town you may remember from the book of Revelation. Today's reading includes two verses I love: "13 For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, 14 who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins."

Psalms: in this day of scoffing at God and His authority, remember this Psalm.

Proverbs: one of life's lessons has obviously taken hold when, as an adult, we can just "know" that a small child will soon be crying. You know what I'm talking about. Two or more kids are playing and they become increasingly loud and rambunctious. By experience we know that something will happen and soon giggles will become tears. I thought of that as I read this Psalm.

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment