Saturday, December 19, 2009

December 19

Today's Reading

Zephaniah prophesied during the reign of a good king named Josiah. Yet, while Josiah instituted many reforms, the hearts of the people were obviously not changed very much. I noted the prophecy to Nineveh: "15 This is the boisterous city,
once so secure.
“I am the greatest!” it boasted.
“No other city can compare with me!”
But now, look how it has become an utter ruin,
a haven for wild animals.
Everyone passing by will laugh in derision
and shake a defiant fist."
This made me think of New York, which some contemporaries have called "the capital of the world." Can you imagine it in ruins? It will be some day!

Revelation. Some things are being held back by God until the right time for their revealing. On the other hand, He has given many pieces of the mystery to his servants, the prophets. If you recall, many of the prophecies that were fulfilled in Jesus' first coming were given in pieces to different prophets in different places at different times.

Psalms. "The Lord will work out his plans for my life—
for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever."
What a great promise!

Proverbs. We live our lives with the attitude of an ungrateful owner, who thinks we have earned everything we have and we have a right to do whatever we want. Or our attitude is of an grateful ower, who is amazed at the many opportunities we have received and want to spend our life giving back.

What is God saying to you today?

1 comment:

  1. In the Psalm passage David reminds me that the Lord will fulfill His purpose for me. All I can say today is that I'm thankful to know that. Somedays I get overwhelmed with how far I haven't come in my pursuit of becoming like Him. It's so good to know that He will fulfill His purpose.

    ReplyDelete