Monday, December 7, 2009

December 7

Today's Reading

Hosea. It is hard to imagine how someone can passionately despise a person they used to love with all their hearts. God again uses the language of a lost love relationship to describe how far his people had moved away from Him. It broke His heart and angered Him to the core. As I read it, my prayer is that I might never again (I have done it before!) so distance myself from Him and His lovingkindness.

3 John. This is the third little letter composed by John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved." "7 For they are traveling for the Lord, and they accept nothing from people who are not believers. 8 So we ourselves should support them so that we can be their partners as they teach the truth." I hold a strong sentiment that the church should support its ministries and not go "outside the walls" looking for help. John seems to agree with that idea here.

Psalms. I can only imagine what it must have been like when the first exiles went home to Jerusalem. I have heard stories of people longing for Israel when they were scattered around the world, especially during WWII. As followers of Christ, it is OUR homeland, too!

Proverbs. "If a ruler pays attention to liars,
all his advisers will be wicked."
Aren't we all completely sickened by hearing of compromise "for the greater good."

What is God showing you today?

3 comments:

  1. Sam, what version do you NORMALLY use? I know you use many, but you must have your favorite.

    We all occasionally "distance ourselves from God", sometimes further than other times, and it doesn't feel good. Oh we think it does - for a while. But our hearts long for Him as He so gently draws us back... when we get "home" again, it feels so good. Too bad our memory is so short!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Hosea we see God angry with His people. It's a basic characteristic of God, that He can get angry with our actions. I've noticed that people who grow up in certain denominations may have differing views of this trait. Some may think of God as an angry oger waiting to pounce, exemplifying little grace (the other side of love). Others may grow up in a church environment that embodies the grace side of God and pays little to no attention to the truth side of the scriptures, which may show God's anger when we disobey His guidance. This is a bais topic that should be discussed in small group settings amongst believers so the church may be wiser to God's complete love, this includes God's anger when we do not follow Him and His grace when we do follow Him. -sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great wisdom, Sean. Thanks!

    Chewie, I will drive you crazy with my answer to your question, but here goes:

    New American Standard for accuracy
    The Message for enjoyment
    New Living Translation and New Century Version for good accuracy and ease of understanding in our current use of the English language.

    Even in my personal studies and reading, I use them all plus several more. Language is ever-changing and I try to keep reading in newer translations to enhance my own understanding and help me with communication.

    ReplyDelete