Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12, Day 71

Today's Reading

Deuteronomy. After describing in detail how Israel conquered two great kingdoms, Moses confesses how he tried to bargain with God to be able to enter the Land after all. As I get older, having spent many years in a church, I can imagine the temptation to "beg" God for another chance to see this for himself. That's what Moses did, but it didn't change the outcome.  God often gives second chances, but not always.

I was struck by the simplicity of verse 2 Do not add to or subtract from these commands I am giving you. Just obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you. They truth is that they DID add to the commands and made the Law a back-breaking challenge which wouldn't allow anyone to succeed. At the same time, the religious leaders created loopholes for themselves and their cronies. No wonder this passage included the promise of a coming judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment