Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14, Day 73

Today's Reading

Deuteronomy. I was moved today by these verses: "16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’" I keep re-learning the lesson that I tend to get stale in my communion with God when everything is going fine. I want to keep that intimacy at all times, not just when everything seems to be falling apart.

Moses reminded the people that God had a special plan for them because of His love. However, they needed to humble themselves before Him. It's a great lesson for you and me. Truthfully, God wanted to bless the whole world through them. Rather than take His blessings and hoard them, they were to demonstrate the power and love of God by refusing to following the false gods that were being worshiped in their new home. When He showered His blessings of love on them, they could show that love and encourage all to follow Him. The way it actually turned out is tragic.

1 comment:

  1. What a great reading today! Several things stood out to me.

    This verse seems so important: "Beware that in your plenty you do not forget the Lord your God and disobey his commands, regulations, and decrees that I am giving you today."

    And I found myself a bit relieved when we are told that all the Lord requires of us is to fear him, live in a way that pleases him, and love and serve him with all our hearts.

    ReplyDelete