Sunday, May 1, 2011

May 1, Day 121

Today's Reading

Since we are reading through the Bible chronologically, I wanted to help you see why 1, 2 Chronicles will cover much of the same history as 1, 2 Samuel and 1, 2 Kings.  I wanted to bone up on this myself, since it has been many years since I read the Bible through in chronological order.  That's when I found this wonderful explanation by "Through The Bible's" Dr. J. Vernon McGee: "Chronicles is another instance of the law of recurrence or recapitulation. The policy of the Holy Spirit in giving the Word of God is to give a great expanse of truth, to cover a great deal of territory, then come back and select certain sections which He wants to enlarge upon. It is as if the Spirit of God takes up a telescope, looks out over the landscape for us, then takes a particular portion of it and puts it under the microscope and lets us look at it in detail. This is what is happening in 1 and 2 Chronicles."

1 Chronicles 12 jumped off the page at me today (and I was reminded of it by tomorrow's reading).  I could imagine the building excitement of the people to have a king with a heart for God.  The descriptions of warriors, their prowess and their large numbers, is the stuff of epic movies.  Like an interlude is the powerful description of the 200 "sons of Issachar", whose weapons were not swords or spears, but godly wisdom.  As they gathered by the tens of thousands, I thought about the shepherd boy, who had often spent the night alone with the sheep and how humbled he must have been to see it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment