Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 5

Today's Reading

Okay, Genesis today is FULL of important stuff! To help you get started...

Why do you think God was so concerned about them building the tower of Babel? (modern day Iraq)

What do you think it was like for Abram to follow God to a place he had never been before?

How do you feel about Abram's lie that Sarai was his sister?

Matthew's passage contains the Beatitudes. I heard a teacher one time who said that the best meaning of "blessed" is "the well-being of." Either way, Jesus says some important things about how we should live in the world. It's not always easy.

Psalms also contrasts the life of those dedicated to God with "the wicked" in today's passage.

In Proverbs, Wisdom issues us a warning.

How is your reading coming along? Questions? Comments?

3 comments:

  1. Is N near the Cannan-Egypt border? (do you know of any good, cheep bible map apple apps?)

    I hadn't remembered that Terah, Abram's father, took the fam away from Ur towards Cannan but didn't get all the way there. It makes me wonder if God tried to call Terah but he didn't listen so he tried again with Abram. How many times has God called me but I didn't listen, so He finds someone else play the part...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Julie, according to wikipedia, the Negev actually makes up about 55% of the territory of Israel, all in the southern part. Not sure on apps. I'm a Mac guy and have extensive Bible software because of my work, but I use Wordsearch and they were slow to transition. They do have a very inexpensive program called Bible Explorer and it may include maps. Just make sure that it is available on a Mac platform.

    No, Terah never got there. One difference between Abe and his dad, though, is that Terah was almost certainly a polytheist and Abe put his faith in only One. I, too, have sometimes wondered what more God could/would have done had I fully trusted Him.

    ReplyDelete