Monday, May 28, 2012

May 28


Today's Reading

On this Memorial Day I hope you will take a moment to be thankful for all who have paid the price of our freedom by giving their lives.

2 Samuel. David's love for his children made it difficult for him to discipline them. It seems that he ignored Amnon's rape of Tamar since surely he had heard about it. Then he ignored Absalom as he took matters into his own hands. It's a setup for what will happen next. Pondering this passage reminds me that, as a leader, I have often grieved over my failure to take decisive action in matters of discipline. I have never regretted firm action, even years later.
John. This is the true "Lord's prayer." The one we call by that title is really a model prayer for us to pray. This is Jesus' prayer for us. I noticed that even Jesus' prayers didn't all get answered immediately. For instance, "23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me." I long to see this come true, even in my own community. But it's not true yet!
Psalm 119. It's really amazing. God's Word, when empowered by God's Spirit, is alive and touches every generation in every culture, location and language.
Proverbs. Have you noticed that our most recent enemies constantly use our corruption and greed as the reason they want to destroy our nation? What would happen if our entire nation humbled themselves before God and lived according to God's instructions? I believe it would change the way the rest of the world looks at us.
Your thoughts today? Questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment