Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 25

Today's Reading

2 Chronicles: the story of good King Asa stands out for me. There are so many lessons I learn from reading about him. The one that most stands out is this: put your trust in God and He will accomplish His purposes. Put your trust in human strength and you will cut off some of God's blessing.

Romans: we move from Chapter 8, which is one of the most comforting chapters in the Bible to Chapter 9, which is one of the most difficult. What does it mean to you?

Psalms: I know just enough about meteorology to understand something about the movements and formation of weather patterns. Still, they are a mystery to me, always coming up with surprises. It is the same way with my own heart. "How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?" As I mature in my understanding of God and His holiness, I see more and more of my own sinfulness. Then I am amazed at God's kindness to forgive me.

Proverbs: having grown up in an era when most conservative Christians were teetotalers, I have noticed that our understanding of grace has freed up many in the church to drink a glass of wine with a meal or a beer on a hot afternoon. Such freedom is good, but it is also dangerous. Today's Proverbs verse is a good guardrail for living with this freedom.

What do you think today?

2 comments:

  1. Everytime I read this chapter in Romans it makes me wonder if God really does want EVERY person to go to heaven. I know He does, but this chapter sounds like He's not only chosen those to be saved, but those to be doomed to Hell also. How can it be both ways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chewie,

    A friend of mine wrote his Doctoral Dissertation in Theology on this subject. He asked, "Do we really believe that people, who run from God by their very nature, would ever turn and seek Him if He didn't get involved first?" Jesus said that no one would come to Him unless the Father first drew Him. The idea that we are completely "free" appeals to us, but we forget that God is at work within us, around us, and in others near us. Our choices are so much influenced by that working of God that we need to be grateful that He wants us as His children and called us to Himself.

    We are all born doomed to hell. God holds the detour sign out and pulls some of us in a different direction. How He accomplishes all this is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete