Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 2

Today's Reading

2 Kings: the historians seem to picture Hezekiah as a selfish man. He wanted to live at all costs. When God did give him life, he bragged about all his wealth to pagan leaders who had a history of conquering and stealing. Then, when he heard about God's coming judgment, he was simply glad it wouldn't happen in his life. He didn't seem to care about his descendants. If that is an accurate depiction of his character, by God's grace I don't want to be like him!

Acts: once again Saul the ex-persecutor became Paul the persecuted. Can you imagine what it was like to try loving people whose minds were so closed and were so full of prejudice? God loves them. If He couldn't, He couldn't love me, either. I'm glad He does!

Psalms: I have, on occasion, been in the midst of a large crowd of people who were simple, humble and unrestrained in their worship. It's just a taste of what heaven must be like!

Today marks our half-way point through reading the Bible in a year. We will read through Psalms a second time and complete the rest over the coming months.

Proverbs: God created us to make a difference in this world. When we are lazy, our part of the work is simply decaying. Also, I love the second verse in this passage today. Oh, how I need Him!

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. A lot of the Proverbs don't seem to "go with" the others in the same chapter - and/or verse. Todays Proverbs is one of those... It makes me wonder where the author came up with them at the time. What was happening in his life. What made the writer someone we should listen to? How did he get so "wise"? I know - God did, but as a non-believer, why should I listen to or believe him???

    ReplyDelete