Thursday, February 10, 2011

February 10, Day 41

Today's Reading

Exodus. Did you notice in chapter 33 that they stopped wearing their jewelry and fine clothes?  They must have really dressed for the party when they got into the pagan worship of the golden calf.  Now they (and God) related their finery to their idolatry.

in Exodus34:7, God said, "I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations. I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin. But I do not excuse the guilty."  I think this means that God doesn't excuse those who hang on to their sin.  They remain guilty because they don't fall into God's mercy.  Jesus said it was the man who wouldn't lift his eyes up to heaven and who cried out, "God be merciful to me, a sinner," who walked away justified.

Later in chapter 34, God warned them against any treaty with the people of the land.  The people would seduce them into sin.  Later, in the days of Balaam, this is exactly what happened.  You can't make peace treaties with sin.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's funny when God tells Moses He won't go with them cause they're "stiff-necked" and if He were to go, He'd end up destroying them. I know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete