Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11, Day 42

Today's Reading

Exodus. The people of Israel had favor with the Egyptians when they departed and were given all kinds of precious metal and jewelry.  These became the source of offerings for the Tabernacle.  It is really a powerful illustration: God provided for the people and the people freely gave to God's work.  God gave gifts of craftsmanship to some of the people and they used their gifts to make the Tabernacle according to God's blueprint.

Exodus 38:8 says, "Bezalel made the bronze washbasin and its bronze stand from bronze mirrors donated by the women who served at the entrance of the Tabernacle." My mind ran a circuitous course as I read this words today.  First, I noticed that mirrors (of shiny bronze or brass) were being used in that ancient time.  Second, I thought about the women and how their hearts were moved to give.  I could imagine conversations: "I will give my mirror; will you share yours with me?"  "I have two mirrors; I can give one!"

Finally, I thought about how God wants to use all His people in the offerings to support His corporate work.  I have seen wealthy, generous people lead the way in giving.  I have seen the proverbial widows give their mite.  I have seen people in the middle give faithfully and sacrificially to support God's work.  The church may be flawed and scarred, but it has existed for 2,000 years and has been supported by God's people.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you wrote here. I was more focused on reminding myself that though it seems so wasteful to me for them to go to such great lengths to make it beautiful and extravagant, they're serving a Holy and deserving God and if that's what He asked, that's exactly what they should do. I don't really think He'd ask that of us in this day and age, though, do you? I feel like money can do more to help the poor in our world than it might do if it were used to build incredibly extravagant and impressive churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, perhaps you're right. It has been my privilege, though, to watch history for some years. Forty years ago I saw people, filled with the Spirit's passion, build great churches (sometimes extravagant and impressive) and invite their friends. Their friends were converted and helped change a generation.

    ReplyDelete