Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 9, Day 40

Today's Reading

Exodus. I had a few random thoughts today.  First, I thought of Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist.  He went into the Holy Place and burned the sacred incense, the making of which was described here.  Then I thought about Sabbath and how hard it is for me to slow down as described and practiced among the Jews (and many Christians today).

Finally, I reflected on the response of Aaron, when he was confronted about the Golden Calf.  In Exodus 32:24, he said, "I threw the gold jewelry into the fire and out came this calf!"  He didn't face up to his own sin of giving in to the people and carving the calf for them.  I have (sadly) been a part of multiple conversations where we confronted someone who had been snared in a destructive sin.  I can't think of a single time when they fully owned up to their responsibility at first.  They always minimize and try to make it sound like it wasn't as bad as it was.  Even after warnings that the truth has a way of coming out, they lie at some level.  I am of the conclusion that it would be better to overstate the depth of the sin than to understate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment