Thursday, June 28, 2012

June 28


Today's Reading

2 Kings. After generations of fighting other enemies, the Jews began to war with each other. What a sad testimony. Yet, God gave both Israel and Judah strength to keep them alive, according to His promise. Conflicts in the churches during the New Testament era should serve as a warning that struggles come to God's people both from outside and within. It's tragic that some churches get so caught up in fighting each other that they are rendered spiritually sterile.

Acts. I love how Apollos was eloquent as a teacher, but humble enough to learn God's ways more clearly. After Paul left Corinth, Apollos stayed and the church kept growing. In 1 Corinthians, Paul rebuked the church for developing factions: "I am of Paul" or "I am of Apollos."
You might wonder about the presence of so many outward signs of the work of the Holy Spirit. Those things can be common, especially where God is giving the Gospel a foothold in places that are spiritually charged and aware. We live in just such a place. The emphasis, though, is always on the Gospel and not on the signs.

Psalms. May you and I acknowledge the Lord as our helper today. May we walk with Him and let Him use us in His work of declaring and demonstrating the Good News of Jesus to our generation.

Proverbs. I want to be like Apollos (above) -- open to correction and not like the fools described here today.

What do you see? Do you have questions today?

1 comment:

  1. I always need to pull up a timeline when I read passages like this one of II Kings! I always get confused as they're switching back and forth between the kings of Judah and Israel... It's interesting how these passages refer back to "the example of Jeroboam son of Nebat." Man, what a legacy! :(

    I, just like you Sam, am really impressed with Apollos' humility! I hope I'm always ready to hear truth, no matter how vested I am in my current beliefs.

    ReplyDelete