Sunday, June 3, 2012

June 3


Today's Reading

2 Samuel. I don't claim to "understand" the whole situation with Saul's family being executed by the Gibeonites so God would let it rain. The only way it begins to make even a little sense to me is if this was God's chosen method of bringing promised judgment on Saul's family. Even then, it's hard for me to grasp why.

We begin the history of the early church today in the book of Acts. Acts was written down by Luke, the physician who wrote the Gospel that bears his name. Luke was the consummate historian and told these accounts with passion and clarity. Today in Acts 1, we read about the choosing of one to take the place of Judas. If I remember correctly, this is the last time we read anything about Matthias, the one chosen. It makes me wonder if God already had made a choice they hadn't seen yet -- Saul of Tarsus, who would be known as Paul the Apostle.

I also noticed today that Jesus talked with His disciples about the kingdom of God during the days leading up to His ascension. Since "Thy kingdom come" is a part of the model prayer and since I pray constantly for God to bring His kingdom in the hearts and lives of people, I am fascinated by what the King might have said.

Psalms. He will not let you stumble;
the one who watches over you will not slumber.
The Lord himself watches over you!
The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.
The Lord keeps you from all harm
and watches over your life.
The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go,
both now and forever. (Psalm 121:3, 5, 7, 8 NLT)

I really needed that today!

Proverbs. Certain verses spring into my mind frequently. This is one of them. I think of it often because I am tempted by pride often.

What are you thinking about as you read today's passages? Insights or questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment