Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 21

Today's Reading

1 Samuel: despite all his maneuverings, Saul had died. What a horrible, tragic picture of life. God had chosen him and blessed him, but he was so insecure that it was never enough.

John: one translation of a recent passage we read quoted the Pharisees of saying Jesus must be destroyed before the Romans see our troubles and take away "our place and our nation." New Living Translation that we have been reading interpreted "place" as "temple." It's also possible that they were talking about their own place as religious elite who had control over the people. That's certainly the attitude they demonstrated in today's passage.

Psalms: life is full of battles that we must fight. Victory, though, is from the Lord.

Proverbs: purity, humility and wisdom are reoccurring themes in this great book.

What are your thoughts today?

2 comments:

  1. From the Psalms, I now have the phrase stuck in my head – “His love endures forever.” I wish I knew more of the praise tune but I think God gives us exactly what we need and for today I simply just need to know that God’s love endures forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean here. In John 15 we see the words, “Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.” Although these are in the NT, we see the same exact guidance given in today’s OT scripture of Proverbs 6, ‘…People may be pure in their own eyes, but the LORD examines their motives. Commit your actions to the LORD, and your plans will succeed.” I always like how Jesus gets to the point and how words that he provides can be related in context to the OT. For these scriptures, it speaks to me clearly that when there is no fruit in my life (many different forms of fruit) then I am probably not on God’s path.

    ReplyDelete