Wednesday, May 27, 2009

May 27

Today's Reading

2 Samuel: I am struck more than ever before about the complexity of today's passage. Each person was walking through difficulties. David was grieving his son's death and broken over his own sin. Bathsheba was surely mourning the loss of Uriah and her complicity in the sin of adultery, as well as the death of her baby. Nathan was faithfully bringing the Word of the Lord to the king, regardless of the consequences. David's advisers were fretting over the king's demeanor. In the meantime, where was Joab? He was fighting Israel's battles on the battlefield. He was loyal to David...sort of.

John: this world is full of grief and pain. Because Jesus paid for our sins, arose and returned to the Father, the Holy Spirit (the Advocate) is available to give us joy, strength, peace and direct access to God.

Psalm 119: no matter how long I walk with God, I am still "prone to wander." God allows me to undergo difficulties with the hope that I will humble myself before Him. Then I can receive His forgiveness and grow in character.

Proverbs: don't take today's verses as some kind to fatalistic proof that bad people have no choice. We ALL have choices. In the end, though, God has a purpose in everything and everyone.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. In our Christian walk, we can parallel the process presented in this Proverb. That is, coming to God, learning to somewhat follow Him and then observing His good works in our lives. Then after a while in our journey, we may come to a more full understanding of just how far we fall short of the Glory of God and just how susceptible we are to our flesh desires. At this point, we may become hungry again for God’s leading in our lives. We ask Him to “teach” us “good judgment and knowledge” as we also welcome the disciplining He provides. I’ve seen it in my life and the lives of many Christians, a point in the journey where we understand that while we are in the flesh form we will have temptations, we’ll fall short, and it is our desire to truly learn from God how to live the life He has laid before us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean here, I meant to reference the scripture of Psalm 65-66, not Proverbs - it's early morning! My blog refers to the words of "“You have done many good things for me, LORD, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word.”

    ReplyDelete