Thursday, September 10, 2009

September 10

Today's Reading

Isaiah: notice how Isaiah immediately felt convicted when he was in God's presence. Then notice how quickly he was ready to be God's messenger after God cleansed him. On another thought, I am reminded of my use of a weather report when I make certain decisions. I look to the forecast to see if the weather should be right for my plans. Isaiah was providing spiritual forecasts to the kings of his day. As he did so, at times the things God showed him wouldn't happen for several hundred years -- like the virgin conceiving and bearing a son -- but Isaiah didn't know how long it would be. He just knew it would be out in the future.

2 Corinthians is difficult. Why does Paul seem to be bragging so much? I think that false teachers were building up their own resumés and using those "credentials" to gain a following. Paul was far more qualified from a human standpoint and was willing to use something "foolish" like his background as a reason they should listen to him and leave the falsehood.

Psalms: in the same way that Saul had David in his sights, we are in the crosshairs of our enemy, the devil. Understanding that makes this Psalm very personal to me.

Proverbs: many wealthy people got that way by striking bargains everywhere they go. It is dangerous to owe them.

What have you noticed today?

No comments:

Post a Comment