Saturday, September 26, 2009

September 26

Today's Reading

Isaiah today begins what are called the Suffering Servant passages. Surely the prophet couldn't understand just how graphic were the descriptions he was writing about Jesus Christ because it was hundreds of years before Christ was born. For instance, "5 The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me,
and I have listened.
I have not rebelled or turned away.
6 I offered my back to those who beat me
and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard.
I did not hide my face
from mockery and spitting."


As I read today's Ephesians passage, I realized that I was angry at someone. At first, I didn't even see it as anger, but I realized that I was hanging on to it a day after it happened. I thank God for His grace and forgiveness!

Psalms: I have felt some of the same things David must have felt when he wrote this Psalm. The answer is the same as his, too. I cry out to God (usually after I try and fail to fix it myself) and He is quick to provide His presence and comfort.

Proverbs: any more, I shudder when I see people make big decisions without seeking and heeding counsel.

What speaks to you today?

3 comments:

  1. Sam should we be afraid of God?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not afraid, as in the sense of cowering, Ox. Fearing God means to respect Him deeply; to be in awe of Him. Think of someone in your military history who has been in command, and for whom you found the deepest level of respect because of the way he/she carried out their duties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dad. I understand. Needed the clarification on the fear. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete