Thursday, September 16, 2010

September 16

Today's Reading

Isaiah. Remember first that the prophet wrote what God showed him. He didn't know if it would happen in his lifetime, a little later or much later. Our reading today includes God's judgment on Judah, which happened very near the time Isaiah wrote. It also includes judgement on Tyre, Sidon and Phoenicia, all three powerful city-kingdoms on the Mediterranean next to Israel. Finally, it includes judgment on the whole earth -- obviously about the end-times. How does each of these speak to you about your life?

Galatians today contains two great truths central to our walk with Christ. The first is "20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." When you became a Christian, the old you was crucified. It's dead! You are a new creation (2 Corinthians 5)! The second great truth in this passage: "21 I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die." If I am made right with God by my own works, then I can be in charge of my own life and set my own standards. If I am fully indebted to God for my forgiveness, the only proper response is to present Him my life as a servant.

Psalms. I'm convinced that one of the characteristics that identified David as "a man after God's own heart" was the way he responded to adversity. We live in an age in which we look at things like a down economy and say, "It's cyclical. It will turn around." I think David would have look at such circumstances and pray, "5 Now rescue your beloved people.
Answer and save us by your power."
The popular way today includes no opportunity to consider our ways and turn back to God (Psalm 119:59).

Proverbs. My prayer is that our church and those influenced by God's work among us will grow in wisdom. Oh, that we would speak what is right and give Him reason to celebrate!

What's on your heart today?

3 comments:

  1. Galatians was full of simple, but powerful truths about the Christian walk. "It is no longer I who lives, but Christ in me." I pray this verse would really soak in as I meditate on it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I am inspired by your frequent references to what is happening in the world today, and your application of God's Word to these events. It bolsters my faith even more in these trying times to be following God's Word with you, and the wisdom granted you (at least in my humble opinion) by God to impart to your Climbing Companion followers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, linnyjo! You are very kind. :)

    ReplyDelete