Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September 28

Today's Reading

Isaiah follows the prophecy of a Suffering Servant who would come with words of comfort for all those whose hearts are broken and repentant. Then, as if to say that God is still fierce against sin, he reminds them of all the sinfulness that has prevailed.

These are beautiful, comforting passages. One among them sticks out to me: "10 “The rain and snow come down from the heavens
and stay on the ground to water the earth.
They cause the grain to grow,
producing seed for the farmer
and bread for the hungry.
11 It is the same with my word.
I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
and it will prosper everywhere I send it."
When we keep watering our lives with the Word of God, some of it is like snowpack up in the high mountain peaks. It resides there, ready for the day when the heat comes to melt it and send it to where it is needed. You and I get heated up through trials and the Words begins to flow and do it's work.

Paul's graphic depiction of spiritual warfare was obviously needed by the Ephesians. We need it, too. Notice that Paul specifically asked for prayers for himself as he fought spiritual battles. As I grow older, that means more than ever to me.

Psalms. "5 But as for me, I am poor and needy;
please hurry to my aid, O God.
You are my helper and my savior;
O Lord, do not delay."
Me, too!

Proverbs. We build our reputations slowly, but we can destroy them quickly!

What is building in your life? What are these passages saying to your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment