Friday, April 15, 2011

April 15, Day 105

Today's Reading

Psalms. If you are following the chronological plan, I hope you find today's "day in the Psalms" refreshing.  Remember where we are in the sequence of historical events: David was being pursued by Saul who wanted him dead at all costs.  Those of us who know where the story is going, can relax as we watch Saul relentlessly pursue and David weave and bob his way past the troubles.  What we can forget is that David didn't know how it was going to end.  Yes, he had promises from God that he would someday be king, but those promises no doubt seemed far off as David dodged Saul's spears and hid from his armies.  How did he cope with the stress of that season?  He wrote out (and surely sung out) his cries to God.  For example...

God is my shield,  saving those whose hearts are true and right.

Do not turn your back on me.  Do not reject your servant in anger.  You have always been my helper.  Don’t leave me now; don’t abandon me,  O God of my salvation!

My future is in your hands.  Rescue me from those who hunt me down relentlessly.

Taste and see that the Lord is good.  Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!

But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God.  I will always trust in God’s unfailing love.

Timeless words written in troubled times.  I'm so glad I have them.  How about you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment