Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April 6, Day 96

Today's Reading

Judges. I can remember the shock I felt when, long ago, I first read today's chapters.  How could this be?  How could the people of God have such wanton disregard for others?  Today I thought about the Levite who pushed his concubine out the door to be abused all night.  In the morning he roughly said, "Get up; let's go!"  She was nothing more than an animal?  Was he blaming her father who kept delaying their departure?  Then, the way Israel found wives for the men of Gibeah.  It's disgusting!

Then the book concludes.  As I mentioned when we started Judges, the last verse is the summation of the whole book: "They had no king; everyone did what was right in their own eyes."  It's as if the last chapters are the bottom of a long, slippery slope of decline morally and spiritually.

I'll be ready for Ruth tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment