Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 11


Today's Reading
Amos. God sent hunger, drought, blight, mildew, locusts and plagues, but his people didn't repent. Perhaps we should have taken it to heart when we faced the devastation of our economy and heeded His call to repent and turn to Him. I don't think we did, however. We have become an arrogant nation, convinced that our strength comes from us and not The Lord. We are sliding down a slope toward judgment.
Revelation. In Thyatira, the people showed signs of God's love and of true faith, but they were full of grace to the exclusion of truth. They refused to deal with the very clear sin of sexual immorality in their midst. In Sardis, the church looked lively, but was near dead. They were like a church that has outstanding praise and worship music, but who shows little life and health on an every day basis. In both churches, a remnant of true followers was hanging on. These churches are so much like churches I know today.
Psalms"3 Lord, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive? 4 But you offer forgiveness, that we might learn to fear you.

5 I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word. 6 I long for the Lord more than sentries long for the dawn, yes, more than sentries long for the dawn." O, what refreshing words!
Proverbs"21 A servant pampered from childhood will become a rebel." I am a softie at heart. I would rather encourage than scold and prefer to reward rather than punish. The truth is, though, that the best lessons of my life have been the harshest ones. We need large doses of unconditional love, but we must have stern discipline to fully form us into Christ's image.
What do you see today?

No comments:

Post a Comment