Friday, December 7, 2012

December 7


Today's Reading
Hosea. It is hard to imagine how someone can passionately despise a person they used to love with all their hearts. God again uses the language of a lost love relationship to describe how far his people had moved away from Him. It broke His heart and angered Him to the core. As I read it, my prayer is that I might never again (I have done it before!) so distance myself from Him and His lovingkindness.
3 John. This is the third little letter composed by John, "the disciple whom Jesus loved." "7 For they are traveling for the Lord, and they accept nothing from people who are not believers. 8 So we ourselves should support them so that we can be their partners as they teach the truth." I hold a strong sentiment that the church should support its ministries and not go "outside the walls" looking for help. John seems to agree with that idea here.  He also goes so far as to name names, pointing out that a church leader named Diotrephes was on a power trip and was choking out anyone he perceived as a threat.
Psalms. I can only imagine what it must have been like when the first exiles went home to Jerusalem. I have heard stories of people longing for Israel when they were scattered around the world, especially during WWII. As followers of Christ, it is OUR homeland, too!
Proverbs"If a ruler pays attention to liars, all his advisers will be wicked." Aren't we all completely sickened by hearing of compromise "for the greater good."
What is God showing you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment