Friday, July 2, 2010

July 2

Today's Reading

2 Kings. The historians seem to picture Hezekiah as a selfish man. He wanted to live at all costs. When God did give him life, he bragged about all his wealth to pagan leaders who had a history of conquering and stealing. Then, when he heard about God's coming judgment, he was simply glad it wouldn't happen in his life. He didn't seem to care about his descendants. If that is an accurate depiction of his character, by God's grace I don't want to be like him!

There is much more about Manasseh in 2 Chronicles. The 2 Kings account never tells the story about how Manasseh ultimately repented. We will read that one in the Chronicles account.

Acts. Once again Saul the ex-persecutor became Paul the persecuted. Can you imagine what it was like to attempt to love people whose minds were so closed and were so full of prejudice? God loves them. If He couldn't, He can't love me, either. I'm glad He does!

Psalms. I have, on occasion, been in the midst of a large crowd of people who were simple, humble and unrestrained in their worship. It's just a taste of what heaven must be like!

Today marks our half-way point of reading the Bible in a year. We will read through Psalms a second time and complete the rest over the coming months. If you have been with us since the beginning, congratulations!

Proverbs. God created us to make a difference in this world. When we are lazy, our part of the work is simply decaying. Also, I love the second verse in this passage today. Oh, how I need Him!

What are your thoughts? Questions?

4 comments:

  1. An eight year old king?? I saw what eight year old boys are like at VBS last week, that is scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder at your characterization of the Jews as close minded and full of prejudice. Think about the Old Testament readings we have been reading recently. Not following the law of Moses and worshiping other Gods (which, from the point of view of the non-believing Jews, is what Jesus was claiming to be) was serious business. This sort of betrayal of God's law already destroyed the kingdoms of Israel and Judah and nearly destroyed the Jewish people completely. From the point of view of the Jews who don't believe in Jesus, what Paul is advocating is very very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Kings – Does God really change His mind because He hears our prayers and sees our tears? How would God have defended His honor if Hezekiah had not had a change of heart? And yet, God’s mercy left Hezekiah proud. Peter didn’t think he would deny Jesus either. I remember when I was a new Christian. I was invincible to Satan’s arrows and immune to the sin that is painfully ever present in the realm of humanity. The New Testament is riddled with passages instructing Christians to “stand firm”. But I have learned in my relationship with God that we will always be tempted; we will always be scared; we will always doubt and there is always death. Thank you Lord that there is life in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erika, it's great to hear from you again. You make a very valid point. If anyone understood this, Paul (once an up-and-coming student of Gamaliel) did. That's why Paul and other leaders in the New Testament used the Old Testament Scriptures to show their fellow Jews that Jesus of Nazareth fulfilled their prophecies concerning a Messiah. If he didn't do that, worshiping Him WOULD be the same as worshiping false gods. Notice how I end that brief statement I made. I have in various ways and at different times taken stands against what I now understand the Scripture teaches as truth. The only way I have hope is that God offers me forgiveness, just as he did for them.

    Luke, we can't really answer the "What if..." questions. But, does God really change His mind? One thing the Bibles says is that He is the same yesterday, today and forever. Yet the Scripture has clear instances in which He seems to change His mind. Which is it? Somehow, I thing that He considers our prayers as a vital part of His plan for the world and He moves on certain things as a result of our prayers. IOW, I will keep praying!

    ReplyDelete