Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 20

Today's Reading

2 Chronicles. Some thoughts surfaced as I read about the beginning of Solomon's reign. The first was that the details required to get the Temple built were enormous -- that in itself was an answer to Solomon's prayer for wisdom and understanding. The second was a realization of the vast amount of labor it took to build it, all with hand tools. I wonder if the laborers understood they were building a house for God. Finally, I noticed how quickly Solomon "knew" that the task of building the Temple was above him and called for a master craftsman: that's wise leadership!

Romans. This is one of the deepest chapters in the whole Bible. It really helps to take it at a simple level. Before we meet Christ and are born again, we are slaves to sin. After our spiritual birth, we are no long enslaved to sin, but are servants of God. We change from the inside out, but we must choose to walk in the freedom we have received. I think we often miss just how powerful our new freedom is. We are no longer children of darkness, but now are children of the light of Christ.

Psalms. "I know that Lord is always with me." Oh, but how easily I disregard His presence! I have to keep learning to practice His presence in my everyday life.

Proverbs. It is so easy to desire control of our own lives. We make plans and they fall apart so we are frustrated. At least I do. I need to remember that verse! God's plans are ALWAYS for my good!

And you? Thoughts or questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment