Friday, July 30, 2010

July 30

Today's Reading

2 Chronicles. Uzziah's heart was humble until he got too big for his britches. Then God struck him. Ahaz started wicked and ended worse. Yet God still had people in both Judah and Israel who honored Him. No matter how bad things are, God always has a remnant. I would rather be in the remnant than "successful" and developing a hart heart. How about you?

Romans 13 should fit us like a tailored glove. I believe that it is time that we learn to humble ourselves and honor those in authority over us. It is also time that God's people learn to live as unto the Lord, no matter which direction the political winds are blowing. Our hope and salvation are from the Lord and not a political party!

Psalms. At the end of my days, may it be said that God's goodness and mercy were with me throughout my life.

Proverbs. This verse is clear enough. What does the way you act say about your loyalty and commitment?

What speaks to you today? Do you have questions?

3 comments:

  1. Fellow Climbing Companions. I am troubled by Romans 13, and the commentary following it. I believe I live a completely law-abiding life, and never thwart authority - however, I believe that all authority not only can, but must be tested, which we Americans do at the polling places at our elections. If we cannot strive - peaceably - to change the direction of our beloved country, I wonder how we can even cast an informed vote. Please show me where I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I'm not sure if this will help you as you wrestle with these thoughts, but here goes. In our house, we struggle back and forth with these questions as well. I look at it like this - what would Jesus think, do and say if He was in my place right here and now (truly His Spirit is in me and I should be a reflection of Him in my day-to-day life)? I believe that Jesus would show love and respect to our governmental authority. What I mean by love and respect is when we are discussing our politicians, we do not call them names or express disgust. Instead, we disagree with their ideas and show that disagreement at the polls, etc. We can strive peaceably to change the direction of our country and I believe we should cast an informed vote. I don't believe Jesus wants us to be disrespectful towards them. He wants us to love and pray for them - even if we disagree with them. That's the way I view the whole thing. Hopefully that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, thank you for your question. I followed it and Ranelle's excellent answer over they weekend. I was up in the mountains at a family reunion and couldn't respond easily, but I think you guys handled it great!

    ReplyDelete