Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 25

Today's Reading

2 Chronicles. The account of good King Asa stands out for me. There are so many lessons I learn from reading about him. The one that most stands out is this: put your trust in God and He will accomplish His purposes. Put your trust in human strength and you will cut off some of God's blessing. A second lesson, now that I have enjoyed many years of God's blessing, is this: never divert your trust from God Himself to His past blessings. He is the eternal God who wants my intimacy and trust today and doesn't want me to use the strength of past blessings to buy help from someone else like Asa did with the king of Aram.

Romans. we move from Chapter 8, which is one of the most comforting chapters in the Bible to Chapter 9, which is one of the most difficult. What does it mean to you?

Psalms. I know just enough about astronomy to understand something about the movements and formation of space. Still, they are a mystery to me, always coming up with surprises. It is the same way with my own heart. "How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?" As I mature in my understanding of God and His holiness, I see more and more of my own sinfulness. Then I am amazed at God's kindness to forgive me.

Proverbs. Having grown up in an era when most conservative Christians were teetotalers, I have noticed that our understanding of grace has freed up many in the church to drink a glass of wine with a meal or a beer on a hot afternoon. Such freedom is good, but it is also dangerous. Today's Proverbs verse is a good guardrail for living with this freedom.

What do you think today? Questions or comments?

2 comments:

  1. As you mentioned in 2Chronicles, I found it to be comforting knowing that God is looking out for us, given all of the problems and challenges we face in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kella. That means a lot, considering the many challenges you have been facing over recent months.

    ReplyDelete