Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 13, Day 13

Today's Reading

Job. Elihu's basic message: let God be God! Don't try to second-guess Him. He is just in what He does. Don't fight Him; trust Him!

In Job 35:15, Elihu says..."You say he does not respond to sinners with anger 
and is not greatly concerned about wickedness."
How many times have I watched someone speed past me on the freeway and hoped I would see them pulled over up the road?  How many times have I quietly hoped someone would get punished for something I saw them do?  But what does the next verse say? "But you are talking nonsense, Job. You have spoken like a fool.” Ouch!

Chapter 36 is full of "attitude checks" for me.  Here is but one contrast..."“God is mighty, but he does not despise anyone!  He is mighty in both power and understanding." (Verse 5) Then, "For the godless are full of resentment." (Verse 13).  Which one represents my character?

Chapter 37 seems to be a warm-up for Job's encounter with God Himself.  Elihu points to the awesome power of creation.  God will ask Job, "Where were you when I created...?"

God saw Job as a "righteous" man.  However, Job still needed to be refined.  When we give our lives to Jesus Christ, we become righteous in Him (2 Corinthians 5), but that is just the beginning of the refining process.  God then goes methodically about the work of conforming us into Christ's image.

How does this speak to you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment