Friday, January 7, 2011

January 7, Day 7

Today's Reading

Job. Is weakness evil?  If you believe the argument of Eliphaz in today's passage, you will think that weakness is evidence of evil.  The cry of Job is that of someone who honestly can't say, "I deserve this pain because of my sinfulness."  Job isn't saying he's perfect, but that he can't pinpoint a sin (or sins) as the root of his suffering.  Eliphaz, meanwhile, keeps hammering Job with the message, "Get right with God and your suffering will flee."

To be sure, some suffering comes as a result of our sins.  But not all.  Suffering provides a great opportunity to boast about our weaknesses.  Jim Cymbala in Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, said, "I have discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weakness.  He can't resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need Him."

In his answer to Eliphaz, Job repeats the same cry that he mentioned earlier..."21 I need someone to mediate between God and me, as a person mediates between friends.  22 For soon I must go down that road from which I will never return."  (Job 16) Thank God that, in His perfect righteousness, He sent His only Son as that mediator.  I am hopeless without Him!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment