Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15, Day 15

Today's Reading

God's challenge to Job includes two mysterious references.  Most likely "behemoth" was a hippopotamus.  But what about "leviathan"?  An alligator?  A sea monster (as some suggest)?  A dragon?  The older I get, the more mysterious this is and the less likely I am to listen to arguments that want to explain it in simplistic terms.  This planet is still revealing mysteries long hidden by the Creator.  The idea of a scaly, large, powerful, fire-breathing animal just may be one of them.

The real treasure, though (to me), comes down to this one verse in the final chapter: "I had only heard about you before, but now I have seen you with my own eyes." At the beginning of the book, God Himself described Job as righteous.  Yet Job had to go through the trials in order to fully "see" God.  Jesus said (Matthew 5:8), "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Job was purified in the fires of trial and he saw God.  I hope you and I can remember that when the fires burn hot in our lives!

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment