Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 5, Day 5

Today's Reading

Job. I read today's passage while on vacation in New Mexico.  At least two or three family members had arrived for the holidays with colds and I caught one of them (feels like I caught all of them; I'm yucky).  In that context, I read Job 7:5, "My body is covered with maggots and scabs. My skin breaks open, oozing with pus." I feel like a truck has run over me, but it can't compare to real suffering.  Job kept going back to his only hope: the Lord.

Today we meet the second of Job's friends who was anything but comforting during Job's pain. (I have heard that Bildad the Shoe-height was the shortest man in the Bible.) Job's cry includes these words: "33 If only there were a mediator between us, someone who could bring us together." In 1 John (New Testament) we are told that Jesus Christ is the mediator between us and God. What a wonderful answer to our dilemma!

No comments:

Post a Comment