Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March 17

Today's Reading

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, was used of God to shake up that nation as well as the traditional Catholic church. He did so by going into communities and building compounds within them. In those compounds they practiced their faith as it had been taught by Jesus. Living there was a commitment to love and serve your neighbors, speak truthfully, and share with each other. A person could stay as long as they lived by the covenant. Many moved in who didn't believe in Christ and became Christians because of the way the Christians treated each other. Once a group was established, a few young families would move to a neighboring community and start the process over.

Numbers: this book began with a tabulation of the forces of Israel. Another is recorded here. Remember, these were just the men who were prepared for war. The actual number of people was much larger.

Luke: Jesus amazed the religious leaders at 12 years old, but it wasn't because Jesus automatically had all the knowledge of God. Otherwise, today's passage wouldn't tell us that He continued to grow in wisdom.

Psalm 60 makes me think of times in my life when the battle is hard and seems never-ending. On the one hand, I experience God's provision and victory. On the other, I often feel alone and have to walk on by faith.

Proverbs reminds us today not to co-sign for someone else -- unless we have the means to repay their debt (and the willingness).

Whether or not you're wearing green today, share you thoughts with us!


1 comment:

  1. It's strange enough to think of Jesus not having all his wisdom from the start, but it's also interesting to me to think about Jesus teaching with less than a full measure of wisdom. I tend to feel like I need more wisdom before I can teach, but here Jesus, just 12 years old, is teaching from what he knows. Sure, he's the Christ, so maybe it's not 100% applicable to me, but I think the point is that we all have something we can teach just from our own life and experiences. I don't need to wait until I'm full of wisdom to share what I've learned. After all, look what a full cup of wisdom got Solomon...

    ReplyDelete