Saturday, March 28, 2009

March 28

Today's Reading

Deuteronomy: Moses reminded the people that God had a special plan for them because of His love. However, they needed to humble themselves before Him. It's a great lesson for you and me.

Luke: when I was younger, I used to try to decide which of the four types of seed/soils were really saved for eternity. I'm not as concern about that now. I have lived long enough to see people in each category. It makes me long to be good seed in good soil.

Psalms: Micah 6:8 says that the Lord requires us to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with our God. I see all three in this Psalm.

Proverbs: I heard recently about someone who admitted, "I'm in over my head. I need to fix it and get out." Based on today's Proverbs, that's a recipe for disaster.

What are your thoughts, fellow reader?

2 comments:

  1. I was struck today by the simplicity of Moses' message to the people: 1."the highest heavens and the earth and everything in it all belong to the Lord your God" 2."Yet the Lord chose (you) as the objects of his love." 3. "Therefore, change your hearts and stop being stubborn." If we could grasp the first two concepts, I don't think the third would be so hard.
    "It is not because you are so good or have such integrity that you are about to occupy their land. The Lord your God will drive these nations out ahead of you only because of their wickedness, and to fulfill the oath he swore to your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 6 You must recognize that the Lord your God is not giving you this good land because you are good, for you are not—you are a stubborn people." Somehow these verses are strangely comforting when I fall flat on my face after feeling super spiritual. God doesn't love us because we are good, he loves us because He is good.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, my experience has been much the same as yours. However, I've never seen it so clearly as you just described it. Thanks!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete