Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6

Today's Reading

Numbers: Nazirite vows and dedication offerings. Ought to be some interesting discussion on these today!

Mark: Jesus talks about the future. Some of His words seem to apply to a few years after this scene -- Jerusalem was conquered and destroyed by Rome in A.D. 70. Other words seem to apply to the end of the world. What do you think?

Today's Psalm speaks of death as a great equalizer. It sounds morbid, but we are all moving toward it. What does this do to your perspective about the prosperity of bad people?

I think today's verses in Proverbs mean that we will get the most out of life when we put God first. What do you think?

I look forward to your comments.

2 comments:

  1. How strange that a Nazirite is considered guilty for having some one drop dead in their presence!

    Do any of you have any idea why Numbers Ch 7 is written like it is? It would have been a lot shorter to just skip verses 12-83 and we'd know just as much... what's the significance and listing it out over and over?

    I'm always touched by the story of the widow with her two coins... I sometimes think I give a lot, but really it's a 'tiny part of my surplus.' This has never been more real to me than this week as I try to fill my Pringles can. I'm one of those who saves all their change and then cashes it in for something fun, so I had a bunch of change saved up. You'd think that would make it easy, but it made it harder. In fact, putting my change in that can each day has been harder than writing the check to stone ridge each week... It's really made me realize how attached I am to 'my' money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I have actually seen Numbers 7 condensed as you said. To answer your question as to why it is listed individually, here are a few thoughts... First, it's probable this is written the way things were recorded in their culture. Second, Numbers includes a number of very precise lists and is meticulous in presentation of them. Third, it may have been written each day as the tribal leader brought his gifts. Finally, I think it's important to see that each tribe brought exactly the same gifts as the others.

    Thank you for your vulnerability about the Pringles can. I appreciate your heart!

    ReplyDelete