Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April 1

Today's Reading

Deuteronomy: being a pastor in a city with military bases makes me often think about the rules of engagement in Deuteronomy 20. What do you think of them?

Luke: I grew up being taught not to trust anyone "not in our group." For that reason, this passage is special to me. Have you had similar experiences?

Psalms: during our tough times we can learn that God alone is our hope. He alone makes life full and abundant.

Proverbs: it's uncanny how much you can tell about someone by the way they care for their animals.

I love these simple, profound passages. What are your thoughts about them?

2 comments:

  1. As a parent and teacher, I was convicted by the passage of Jesus and the demon-possed boy. "A man in the crowd called out to him, “Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, my only child. An evil spirit keeps seizing him, making him scream. It throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It batters him and hardly ever leaves him alone. I begged your disciples to cast out the spirit, but they couldn’t do it.”
    Jesus said, “You faithless and corrupt people! How long must I be with you and put up with you?” Then he said to the man, “Bring your son here.”
    It sounds so harsh, but I just realized; Jesus is addressing the influence of 'this corrupt generation' which plays the victim and lays responsibility for the distruction of its families on others. Sounds very familiar to today. Am I allowing evil to influence my family and then throwing up my arms when evil triumphs? Do I act condescending towards others who struggle with their children? This is not a very comforting passage.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting observation, Brad. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete