Monday, April 20, 2009

April 20

Today's Reading

Reading Joshua today reminds me of just how interdependent the Israelites were at that time in their history. When it was time to share part of the land with the priestly tribe (Levi), they all had a part. When they thought three tribal groups were building their own altar in rebellion against God (rest of the story is tomorrow), they were afraid that the entire nation might be punished.

Luke reminds us that the stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. He is the cornerstone of our lives and our hope.

Psalms: if the highest angelic powers stand in awe before God, how much more should we humble ourselves before Him?

Proverbs: perhaps the most important quality of a good reputation is to have and use Biblical wisdom. "Good sense."

That's it for today? What speaks to you?

1 comment:

  1. A few comments today:
    In Proverbs today it is interesting to note that righteousness guards the man of integrity, but that it's the wickedness that overthrows the sinner. In other words, our sins will find us out. I pray that for the ones I love, especially my children. I pray that their sins will be revealed as they seek to grow in their relationship with the Lord.
    Psalms is very special to me today. When I had our third child - our first son - we decided to name him Ethan. When my nurse found out what we were naming Ethan, she asked me if I knew that name was in the Bible. I didn't. That night she went home because her shift was over. The next morning she came back to the ward where we were for the night and she brought me a thick piece of paper with Ethan's name written in Hebrew and then Psalm 89 written under it. Ethan wrote a maskil - Psalm 89. He was an Ezrahite. I believe that the Ezrahites were part of David's court (something like that). Anyway, that Psalm happened to be one of my favorite Psalms anyway and now it means even more. I pray my mouth makes known God's faithfulness to all the generations after me!

    ReplyDelete