Friday, April 17, 2009

April 17

Today's Reading

Joshua: many Scripture passages tell us history. This section of Joshua is about geography. It would be easier to understand if we were looking at an ancient map.

I often think about the millenia-old conflict that resulted from the inability to drive out the Jebusites. Jebus the name comes from a root meaning "hatred." Jerusalem is supposed to be a city of peace, but instead has been full of bloodshed all these years.

Luke: I'm captivated by the story of Bartimaeus, the blind man on the road to Jericho. Some Jews believed that the "son of David" would have the power to heal. He had heard that Jesus was called the son of David. He believed. He saw!

I'm grateful for the reminder of God's mercy as I read this Psalm.

According to today's Proverb, I want to be a person who listens to wise advice.

How about you?

1 comment:

  1. I, too, love the story of the blind man in Luke. After those who were in the crowd told him to be quiet, "He shouted all the more, 'Son of David, have mercy on me'." His persistence and belief is incredible.
    In Psalm today David asks the Lord to give him an undivided heart. That is a beautiful request. That is my prayer today.

    ReplyDelete