Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 22

Today's Reading

The Joshua passage today reminds me of how different it was when the people didn't have the power and conviction of the Holy Spirit within them. He (the H.s.) lives in Christians today because we live after the crucifixion and resurrection. The Day of Pentecost (Acts 2) was when God chose to start baptizing Christ's followers in the Holy Spirit. During the Old Testament, the Spirit came upon certain people at specific times for special tasks, but they didn't know the presence of the Spirit in them.

That said, I think they meant to serve God from then on, but they quit after Joshua died.

When I read this passage from Luke, I wonder if we are at the very beginnings of this time described by Jesus.

I find it amazing that this Psalm ends with, "Praise the Lord forever!"

Proverbs today has four very unique sayings. Which one speaks the most to you?

There we go. Hope you enjoy today's reading. Questions? Comments?

3 comments:

  1. Sam, am I mistaken, or haven't most of the events from this passage of Luke already happened? The destruction of the temple and all the persecutions were all a part of the early Church's experience. I know they are also a part of end times prophecy, but which is this passage referring to? Is it both?
    The Psalms passage sounds a lot like the way our culture has treated Christ. But somehow He is still praised.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the visual in Luke's passage today. When all those things are happening, the end is near . . . "when these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near." I will surely be one of those whose head is lifted. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad, I think that this passage in Luke and the similar in Matthew 24 are typical of Biblical prophecy. They are like brush strokes of a picture not fully seen yet. Only looking back at the completed picture can we fully understand what they mean. That said, I believe that they were partially fulfilled in A.D. 70 and will be completely fulfilled at the end times.

    ReplyDelete