Friday, August 14, 2009

August 14

Today's Reading

Nehemiah: experiencing God's mercy often makes us aware of just how sinful we are. When we think we are just "good people" that God can't help but love, we don't see the depths of our need. However, when we start to see our own sinfulness, we can become overwhelmed by it, as the Israelites did in today's passage. I love the prayer that was prayed by their leaders.

In 1 Corinthians today, Paul is obviously dealing with a complaint he had heard. Some of the people -- his "fans" -- called him an apostle and said that the church should support him. Others argued against any of "my money" going to him. He set the record straight and also taught a great lesson to churches throughout the centuries. His final statement, "I never demand my rights when I preach..." is an equally great lesson for pastors.

Psalms: "18 But the Lord watches over those who fear him,
those who rely on his unfailing love.
19 He rescues them from death
and keeps them alive in times of famine." I think God is more reliable than the U.S. government. Don't you?

Proverbs: God knows; God cares; God will handle it. But He might not step in until we take our hands off it.

What speaks to you today?

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs spoke to me loud and clear today. Take my hands off and God will take over. Seems so simple but it is a lesson I continue to learn. Chris

    ReplyDelete