Wednesday, August 26, 2009

August 26

Today's Reading

Job: Zophar tells Job that the wicked always get taken down in the end. "Not true," says Job. "Haven't you seen how many of the wicked are buried in lavish tombs? They never paid!" (Of course they pay -- in eternity!) So Eliphaz takes the wealth subject and tells Job THAT must be Job's sin: misusing his great wealth! Notice how the only answer these friends can give is, "God caught you with your hand in the cookie jar, Job!" I hope for better comforters when I'm suffering!

2 Corinthians was written some time after the first letter to the Corinth church. In that letter, Paul challenged them to correct a number of problems that existed. This letter seems to be one of comfort as they faced the pain that comes with walking God's way. Sufferings are part of the standard gear for those who will deeply know Christ. Paul's introduction to this letter really spoke to me today. I hope it does to you, also.

Psalms: "But may all who search for you
be filled with joy and gladness in you."
He is the Wellspring! He is the source of the water of life. It is found in no other!

Proverbs: it is painful to hear the stories of people who didn't prepare for future troubles; didn't really think about them until it was too late.
May we all walk in the wisdom of these verses!

What speaks to you today?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness . . . I really don't mean to be hogging the comment section, but the 2Cor. passage is so special to me. While I was fighting cancer, I went through a really rough spot of chemotherapy (this was 8 years ago - yippee). It was during this time that I happened upon 2Cor. Verses 3-11 were such a comfort to me. It helped me to know that the trials I was going through and the comfort that I was receiving from the Lord, would someday be a comfort and encouragement to others. God's comfort surely overflowed into my life during those dark days. At one point, I even despaired of life. BUT, all that happened so that I might not rely on myself but on God. He delivered me, not from having to go through all of that, but from the despair and darkness that was lurking in every corner of my daily life back then. Finding this passage of Scripture was the coolest thing for me back then and today, it brought back all of those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ranelle,

    I LOVE it when you comment. I wish more would comment more often. That's what this is supposed to be about.

    As always, thanks for sharing something rich from your life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

    3. Praised be God, Father of our Lord Jesus the Messiah, compassionate Father, God of all encouragement and comfort.;
    4. who encourages us in all our trials, so that we can encourage others in whatever trials they may be undergoing with the encouragement we ourselves have received from God.

    What a stark and wonderful contrast these verses of encouragement are compared to the "counsel" of Job's so-called friends!

    Psalm 40:11

    Lord, don't withhold your mercy from me. Let your grace and truth preserve me always.

    This is a great example of how the "God of the Old Testament" is the same as the "God of the New Testament." His grace and truth preserved our forefathers, just as they do today.

    ReplyDelete