Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 4

Today's Reading

2 Chronicles: the era of the kings came to an end. After the death of Josiah, the nation went downhill quickly and was ultimately taken captive by Babylon. God always accomplishes His purposes and His people would return after the 70 years of Sabbath rest. Foolish is the nation who sides against Israel, even today. I don't know why they are God's chosen nation, but they are.

1 Corinthians: this first letter from Paul to the Corinth church may cause you to think that Paul saw them as entirely carnal. Actually, he spent a long time ministering there and he had a deep love for the people. He will confront some significant issues in this letter. His second letter tells the history of their wonderful response.

Psalms: life is full of battles that often feel overwhelming. I love this reminder that we can be confident in the Lord. Always.

Proverbs: have you read the stories of the people who win the mega-lotteries? They are tragedies. I always think of this verse in Proverbs when I hear them.

What do you notice today?

2 comments:

  1. Today I noticed how much I really forget to apply the Scriptures to my daily life - marriage, raising children, making a home. Last night and this morning I feel attacked with my flesh saying all kinds of things that I know are contrary to what the Lord says. Psalm 27 applies to me - right now . . . "The LORD is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?"
    Evil men, my enemies and my foes will stumble and fall. Even though an army (of thoughts that are contrary to the TRUTH) beseige me, my heart will not fear. I will be confident. In the day of trouble (today), He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He'll hide me and set me high upon a rock. My head will be exalted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ranelle, I read your comment from my Blackberry before I got up this morning. Whispered a word of prayer for you. You are precious to us!

    ReplyDelete