Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 21

Today's Reading

Today, Genesis stirs so many thoughts and emotions in me. Take a moment if you can and put yourself inside Joseph. What do you think he is experiencing? Do the same with his brothers.

Notice that their father didn't let the brothers take Benjamin to Egypt until Judah offered his own life in exchange. He had refused to accept the offer of Reuben to give up two of his sons. Judah, the direct ancestor of Jesus, showed us a picture of salvation. It is not by our own works, but because God offered Himself, through Jesus, as our substitute.

Matthew. There's an old proverb about a visitor in a small town who inquired of a resident, "Were any important people born here?" "No," came the sage answer, "Just babies." Apparently the people in Nazareth couldn't get past the fact that Jesus had grown up there, just like lots of other boys. How could He be special? It blocked their faith!

Some stories are beautiful and some that are grotesque. What do you think of this passage about beheading John the Baptist? We need to remember that faithfulness does not insulate us from pain. In fact, it often guarantees it!

Psalms. We often tend to view God through the lenses of our own strengths/weaknesses. How do you see Him?

Wisdom, according to Proverbs, is the path to effective living. Dear God, please help me live according to wisdom!

How are you doing? Please share your thoughts about what you are reading.

2 comments:

  1. The Lord does SO many things for me.
    Here are just a few:
    Lights a lamp for me
    He's my shield
    He makes a wide path for me
    He supports me
    He trains my hand and makes me surefooted
    He arms me with strength
    He makes my way perfect . . .
    And the list goes on.
    I certainly have lots of days when I don't live like I have access to the "power of His resurrection". This psalm is a great reminder to me of all I have as a believer! May I live like this today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Ranelle, you have encouraged and strengthened my faith with your insight. Thanks!

    By the way, it's our rare rainstorm in Yuma today and I am clinging to the "surefooted" part of the promise!

    ReplyDelete