Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January 26

Today's Reading

Exodus. An interesting note to today's reading. The story of humans on earth had been told verbally from generation to generation until the time of Moses. He was the one who started writing down the hundreds of years of human history. Consequently, he is now telling us his own story.

We receive some beautiful detail about Moses' birth and a small story about his flight from Egypt. The encounter with the burning bush begins a journal of many significant events. By this time, Moses was 80 years old. He was in Egypt for about 40 years, in Midian for about 40 years and leading the people for his last 40 years. I believe it was Dwight L. Moody who said, "Moses spent the first 40 years of his life thinking he was somebody, the next 40 years of his life finding out he was a nobody, and the last 40 years of his life discovering what God can do with somebody who finds out he's a nobody."

Matthew. It seems that almost everything Jesus said and did in today's passage has to be pondered to gain understanding. Even after reading and studying these passages over much of my life, I find myself discovering new facets as I grow older. What do you think?

Psalm 22 is prophetic. Written hundreds of years before Jesus, it describes many occurrences on the cross. What do you see?

Proverbs. Again, we are warned about the dangers of yielding to temptation. In this case, it's especially the temptation of immorality.

I anticipate your questions and your insights.

5 comments:

  1. I guess I never noticed it before, but Pharoah tried to kill Moses after he found out that Moses had killed an Egyptian. I knew that Moses had to run after that because the Egyptian authorities found out he had killed one of their guys, but I didn't think that Moses' own father (because that's what Pharoah was to him, right?) wanted to find him and kill him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been traveling for work of late, I get tired of being gone from family and I can get a not-so-good attitude about it. This is kept in perspective with the ongoing story of the Hebrew people. They faithfully work hard in Egypt and eventually are oppressed as slaves. Then God raises up Moses in order to deliver the Hebrews - as promised. Moses starts his journey in today's readings. With this, we know that after Moses leads the Hebrews out of Egypt that they will then wonder for 40 years. What a story, one that highlights patience and committment to God. I guess I should be more patient with God's leading of work travel and family balance, and more committed to trusting His vision for my life knowing that He will direct our lives to the ultimately promised land - Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ranelle, I believe that you are correct. The Pharaoh who would have killed Moses was like his father. The Pharaoh 40 years later was Moses step-brother.

    Sean, thanks for bringing this into focus by showing us how it works in everyday pressures. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was fascinated by the reading in Exodus today, because I have recently become really interested in the names of God. I feel like they give us glimpses at the complexity of who He is.

    I am confused by the verses in Matthew. Why did Jesus put the coin in the fishes mouth? Was it just a miraculous sign to show His holiness? What is the significance of those verses about paying the taxes?

    One thing I love about Psalms is hearing David cry out to God in such a human way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lara, I love your interpretation of Jesus putting the coin in the fishes mouth. Great insight! But why did He do it? I like the simple answer: He did it to show that He supplies, even when we are being treated unjustly. The sons of Israel, I think, did not pay this particular tax. However, the religious leaders charged it so they could get more money. Instead of fight the unjust system, Jesus said to just trust God.

    How many times would we choose the fight rather than the provision from Him?

    ReplyDelete