Friday, January 29, 2010

January 29

Today's Reading

Exodus. The battle between good and evil heats up in today's passage. The powers of darkness had long kept people captive in Egypt. One by one, God had Moses take on the spirits. Pharaoh kept hardening his heart. After all, his nation had built their whole economy on slave labor. Sounds like some countries in our world today.

Matthew begins with a beautiful story about children and moves to a very sad story about a rich, young man. Be honest with yourself: would you like to be one known for taking time with the little ones or would you rather be the rich person?

Psalms (I LOVE this one!) has 3 stanzas. In the first, we are reminded that God owns all. Then, we are told who may come into God's presence for genuine worship. Finally, we cry out in praise as the King enters the gates! Wow!

Proverbs contains a dire warning: don't cosign another person's debt. That is, unless you are willing and able to pay it off when they default. I've been there; done that. We got out before it completely caved in, but I learned a huge lesson.

How's it going? Surely you have some thoughts to share today!

4 comments:

  1. Exodus - I have a hard time understanding the "hardening" of the heart. I see it all the time even today, but I still can't comprehend a person being unable to understand God's rebuke and quest, when it is shown time and time again, that He is trying to reach us, and ALL we need to do is worship Him. Amazing! yet sad.

    Matthew - This one for me is truly easy, as you well know Sam. My love and desire to love and comfort the little ones (especially babies)has become a true mission to me. I pray that He will always give me a heart for them.

    Psalm - I give thanks to God daily (sometimes many times through the day) for His awesome blessings to us. I am proud yet humbled that I have the awesome knowledge - through the Cross - of truly knowing where I am going, and my heart cries out that all who I love may have that same assurance one day. I can't wait for the day I will meet my Lord and Savior face to face.

    Proverbs - We also have been there Sam. I wonder if there is ANYONE who hasn't found themselves attempting to HELP someone, only to find that we were less than wise in doing so in that manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd actually rather take the time "with the little ones" - I'm already rich. Rich in God's Love... and He provides for everything anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister and I had a discussion about Matthew 19:21 a few weeks ago. What role should wealth and earthly possessions play in the life of a believer? Should Christians be rich? I do believe God allows people to succeed financially in order that they can care for their brothers and sisters who have less. But should people accumulate wealth and possessions? I'm just not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Linda and Chewie!

    Lara, you raise a good question. Is it okay to succeed financially? If so, what are our responsibilities. I think it's okay. Jesus spent time with wealthy people as well as the poor. He didn't rebuke them all for being wealthy. On the other hand, God has chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith (James 2:5). The problem, I think, is not how much money we have, but how much money has us. If our money is keeping us from God, we should give it away. If we are able to grow in faith and keep our hands and our hearts open to give generously, we can do that. I have found one problem in my own heart; one that I watch out for. I at times have spent money to make my blues go away. In other words, I have used money to buy something that in the end never works! That's my danger.

    ReplyDelete